Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Sapodilly's

Sapodilly's A virtual cafe' where friends can chat about almost anything

Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Senior Forum Onsite Correspondent

Bahama Lobster Pirates

I saw this on Facebook and I was so surprised to see that I know lots of these fisherman that are in this show. One person is Henry Sands from Great Guana Cay. I can't wait to watch it.

This is from their Facebook page......

Tune in to the Sportsman Channel when we lead the world throughout the islands of the Bahamas and experiencing the war that is waged each year chasing spiny lobsters. The controversial Bahama lobster fishery will intrigue the world with our intense underwater footage of the thousands of diverse marine species, while introducing viewers to some of the most colorful characters of the islands. Fall in love with the tranquil waters, pristine white sandy beaches, and the tropical paradise of the Bahama Islands.

The show follows life on the Atlantic Ocean aboard six lobster boats during the annual lobster season. Camaraderie of the crews, familial ties, and rivalries between fleets as they compete to harvest spiny lobster makes for a compelling story line that endears the crews to the viewer, and the characters quickly emerge as the focal point of the show. Viewers will be on the edge of their seats - experiencing perils at sea, dangers lurking beneath the surface, the challenges of the weather, mechanical failures, tight living quarters, and of course, the pirates. Bahama Lobster Pirates showcases the hard work it takes to preserve this highly coveted commodity and the compelling drama that unfolds during the competitive season of lobster diving in the Bahamas.

The world will be intrigued by this world class production, Bahamas Lobster Pirates. Every shot was captured in high definition, with the highest production quality- whether below the surface, at the surface, or aerial footage from a helicopter.
Plot Outline
Bahama Lobster Pirates an exciting new reality show filmed in the breath taking Bahamas, premiering February 15th, 2014, Prime Time on the Sportsman Channel, Saturday nights at 8:30.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Forum Founder/Moderator

Pat, would you please "bump" this post as the show gets closer?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Of course I will, just for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Pat, would you please "bump" this post as the show gets closer?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
"Fish Whisperer"

Douglas, Darren, Bruce, Henry, Kyle, Mikey, Junior, Garth - they were all filmed for the show - lots of boys from Spanish Wells were filmed as well.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Is that a satellite channel? I've never heard of it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Forum Founder/Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw View Post
Of course I will, just for you!!
Thank you dear.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 AM
"Fish Whisperer"

It is available on both cable, and satellite - hunting and fishing shows for the most part.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
CFBM veteran

Facebook says Sportsman channel
605 Directv
395 Dish
Looks like Comcast has it but different channels for different locations.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdogs View Post
605 Directv
395 Dish
Thanks! Can't wait to go check it out.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Channel 516 on Time Warner Cable for those of us in the Charlotte NC area. We don't have cable or satellite so I'll find a friend's house to watch it at.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Channel 605 on my direct TV . I am watching it now . some guy gutting a deer in a field .
I definitely will watch the show next month . remember to give us a heads up , Pat

troy
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Douglas, Darren, Bruce, Henry, Kyle, Mikey, Junior, Garth - they were all filmed for the show - lots of boys from Spanish Wells were filmed as well.
Okay, I have goose bumps! I just emailed my friend in Spanish Wells to get the scoop!!

How fun is this going to be to watch!

Actually, the boats out of Spanish Wells catch more lobsters than any other island.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
"Fish Whisperer"

"Actually, the boats out of Spanish Wells catch more lobsters than any other island."

More big boats than any other island............
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 PM

Crazy Roy (Roy Pinder) has a large lobster boat in Spanish Wells. I hope his boat is one of the boats they used to make the film. He is a real character and a great guy. It will certainly be fun to see him. Maybe he will tell the story of when a shark bit him across the face. It's amazing he lived through that one.
ken
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
"Fish Whisperer"

It bit his whole head, and spit him out.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM

The boats involved are

Atlantic Lady
LD
New Wrinkle
Sea Gem
Summer Place
Water Spout
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Ken, my husband saw Roy in one of the pictures of the crew so I guess his boat is in the show.

If your on Facebook, just go to this link. You don't have to be friends with them. https://www.facebook.com/bahamalobsterpirates

Last edited by patw; 01-10-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
It bit his whole head, and spit him out.
Yep, it bit him across the face from ear to ear. He FOUGHT his way out and has the scars to show it.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw View Post
Ken, my husband saw Roy in one of the pictures of the crew so I guess his boat is in the show.

If your on Facebook, just go to this link. You don't have to be friends with them. https://www.facebook.com/bahamalobsterpirates
Thanks very much for this info and link Pat. We met Roy in 1988 while cruising with 5 boats to Spanish Wells, and saw him again 5 or 6 years ago. He hasn't changed much from the last visit. If your husband knows Roy I think he will agree they could just do the show around his character. Thus his name "Crazy Roy"

PS.....CR is right about that shark, it had to release him... but Roy thinks it was only because of his final effort to get released, it was a battle.

Last edited by anchor out; 01-11-2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Added a thought
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Yes, my husband has known Roy for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchor out View Post
Thanks very much for this info and link Pat. We met Roy in 1988 while cruising with 5 boats to Spanish Wells, and saw him again 5 or 6 years ago. He hasn't changed much from the last visit. If your husband knows Roy I think he will agree they could just do the show around his character. Thus his name "Crazy Roy"

PS.....CR is right about that shark, it had to release him... but Roy thinks it was only because of his final effort to get released, it was a battle.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
"Fish Whisperer"

Don't know if you folks know, but Roy is a very talented singer as well.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran

At&T Uverse users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdogs View Post
605 Directv
395 Dish
Channel 642. But it is not a channel on there basic Uverse.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 PM

Comcast

Comcast Channel 738. Usually requires Upper tier package.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Here's the link to find your channel:
http://thesportsmanchannel.viewerlink.tv/
Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

Thanks for the link TT. Unfortunately, it's not available on Cox but I just recommended that they offer it. You'd think with the popularity of Duck Dynasty etc, they would!

Hopefully we'll be able to see it here, sounds like it'll be great.

Tina
Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

I know there's a cast of wonderful characters, but to me these fishing stories like the Alaskan crabbers (the TV show) and Bahamian crawfishers is incredibly depressing. They catch less and less every year. Estimates of Southern Spiny Lobster in the Bahamas are that the unreported landings are 2.6 times what is reported as official government landings, which only reflect exports (FAO statistics). Poaching is rampant, especially in the Family Islands. Since 2003 there has been a slow decline in not only the estimated poundage, but in average tail lengths as well. Despite some new restrictions on the sports fishing sector, some researchers wonder if the crawfish population could crash, as it did in other parts of the Caribbean. We've already seen that with the monk seal, sponges, and other things that used to be plentiful but are gone now. Remember when Florida used to have real grouper on the menu?

It's not a pretty picture. Sorry to be a bummer about it. I'm sure the show is perfectly enjoyable. It's just not a happy camper thing for me.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 AM

From The Bahamas Weekly:

Entertainment Last Updated: Jan 31, 2014 - 4:02:44 PM
"Bahamas Lobster Pirates": New Reality TV Show starting Feb 15
Jan 31, 2014 - 3:52:45 PM

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Premiering on the Sportsman Channel, Feb 15th and Airing Saturday Nights – Primetime at 8:30pm

Join us on this journey: Experience the “war” that is waged each year throughout the islands of the Bahamas, chasing spiny lobsters, one tail at the time. This war is based on the rivalry between hardworking crews feverishly building and deploying condos or habitats, only to be sought out and raided by pirate boats.
The “Bahama Lobster Pirates” follows life on the Atlantic Ocean aboard six lobster boats during the annual lobster season. The show takes place in one of the most picturesque tropical settings on earth, the beautiful Bahamas. Follow the hard work it takes to preserve this highly coveted commodity, and the compelling drama that unfolds during the first 30 days of the of lobster hunting season.
The Bahamian lobster fishery will intrigue the audience with intense underwater footage of the thousands of diverse marine species, and most importantly the spiny lobster, while introducing you to some of the most interesting characters of the islands. Tune in each week and fall in love with the tranquil waters, pristine white sandy beaches, and the tropical paradise of The Bahama Islands.
You will be on the edge of your seat - experiencing perils at sea, the dangers lurking beneath the surface, the challenges of Mother Nature itself, tight living quarters, mechanical failures, and of course, the Pirates themselves.
Photos, show details and video promo can be found on the official website: bahamalobsterpirates.com
TUNE IN EACH WEEK for a spectacular underwater adventure, experience the everyday life, drama and competitive rivalries within the crews and between the fleets as they compete to come home as the Top Crew and Boat.
About Bahama Lobster Pirates: "Bahama Lobster Pirates” is an exciting new reality TV-Show filmed in the breathtaking Bahamas, premiering February 15th, 2014, Prime Time on the Sportsman Channel, Saturday nights at 8:30.
Fishtales Film Productions is a Florida based film production company, dedicated to producing wildlife, nature and documentary films specializing in underwater film production. We work in all stages of the film making process, from development through distribution.

Behind the scenes...
Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Remember it starts tonight!! It is on in one hour, can't wait!