Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Abaco Sportsman

Abaco Sportsman Boating, Sailing, Fishing, and Diving in Abaco

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Engineer Extraordinaire

How to Make a Cast Net

Back when I was a little guy in my single digit years I had an aunt and uncle that lived on the Texas coast near a little town called Sargent. Their home was along the banks of Caney Creek, a small creek that fed into the intercoastal waterway. Some of my fondest memories are from the times we visited there. My uncle taught me how to throw a cast net and ever since then I've always loved them. When we go fishing now down in Rockport I almost have as much fun catching bait with the cast net as I do catching redfish. Plus I get to brag that I always catch more "fish" than anyone else... nevermind that they're 3 inch mullet.

So it's my long fascination with these nets that leads me to want to make one from scratch. I've read a really good book on the subject by a fellow named Ted Dahlem. So armed with that information and some basic supplies here we go...

(I'll add more pictures as the net progresses.)
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

Willy, you need to apply to be on the next Survivor series....
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

Ugg, liquid sunshine here in our spot of coastal Texas today - rain, a good day for making such weapons of mass instruction.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Cold and windy here today Sam. Nice day to be inside.

OK, I've got past the hard part... setting up. This starts with loading up the shuttles (Picture 1). Next you make a chain that consists of 2 rows of 41 loops (Picture 2). The chain is joined end to end which ultimately gives you 2 rows of 42 loops. This is loaded onto a hinged metal ring that ends up sandwiched between 2 pieces of plastic (Picture 3). The sandwiched pieces are attached to the clamping fixture (Picture 4)... and now I'm ready to begin the third row. When I start the fourth row I'll start making wideners (more on that later).
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM

That sure is purdy!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Thanks Patti!

Here's a little detail on the wideners. Starting with with the fourth row you add a widener every third loop. The next three rows are knotted normally and then on row eight you add a widener every fourth loop. The next three rows are knotted normally and then on row twelve you add a widener every fifth loop... etc, etc, etc.

Picture 1 is a widener. Picture two shows how the next row ties into the widener.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Veteran

Willy-
I can honestly say that I am more impressed with your project than the building of the space shuttle. It never dawned on me to tackle something like that. I thought all cast nets came from a clear plastic box from Academy. You, sir, are a more patient man than I. The Grumpy Old Fishermen salute you.
Bob

Caney Creek, otherwise known as the home to a zillion mosquitos, still has me scratching.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Thanks Bob. I'm just really curious about how stuff is made and things like this fascinate me.

I do need to post a correction on the wideners...

While the wideners do start on row four they are then tied in at every other THIRD row... not every fourth row like I said earlier. So wideners start with row four... then row seven... then row ten... etc.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator

In the summer of '69 my college roommate "inherited" a seine net that was about 80 yards long and six feet high. It had several tears, no float line at the top, no lead line at the bottom. We spent a month working on it, and finally took it down to beach between Port Orange and Ponce Inlet. In an hour we netted 80 lbs of black drum, pompano, a stingray, a small shark, and some other odd critters. We took it to the old B&B Fisheries on Volusia Avenue, they paid us $20, we thought we had struck it rich.

We worked the net the next three evenings, and were doing pretty good until the Marine Patrol showed up. He had a gizmo that measured the diagonal width of the netting, and it turns out ours was too small, as in illegal; at least that's what he told us. He gave us a very stern lecture, threatened to send us to reform school, then he confiscated our net and our fish and left.

I always wondered if we got fleeced by a bad cop...
"The Bahamas is one of the wealthiest Caribbean countries with an economy heavily dependent on tourism...Tourism together with tourism-driven construction and manufacturing accounts for approximately 60% of GDP and directly or indirectly employs half of the archipelago's labor force."
from US Central Intelligence Agency 2008 Factbook
Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 AM

That is impressive...I get a headache just trying to mend my castnets, awesome
Old 02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

Gee folks, doncha need to know the Beckett Knot or something to make a net? A very useful knot that is. Here's a link.
http://www.doflick.com/ViewVideo.aspx?vId=177&t=2

-sams
Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Yep, that's it Sam. I'm getting very familiar with that knot. I tied about a thousand of them last weekend. Only about 24,000 more to go.

This is going to take a little while!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Willy, that is awesome!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Puzo View Post
Willy, you need to apply to be on the next Survivor series....

You know... that would be a blast and I think I could do well... that is if I could get my fat butt into shape beforehand.

I just watched the show tonight. It was killing me. Those folks have a cast net and have no clue as to how to throw it. They could be not only catching bait but bigger fish as well to eat. The same thing happened back when the show was in the Amazon. They had a cast net and no idea how to use it. They also have a spear... and again, no clue. I love this show but they're killing me!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Landham View Post
You know... that would be a blast and I think I could do well... that is if I could get my fat butt into shape beforehand.

I just watched the show tonight. It was killing me. Those folks have a cast net and have no clue as to how to throw it. They could be not only catching bait but bigger fish as well to eat. The same thing happened back when the show was in the Amazon. They had a cast net and no idea how to use it. They also have a spear... and again, no clue. I love this show but they're killing me!

That's so funny Willy! I thought of you the minute I saw that. Doesn't it normally take just one person to do the throwing, or casting or whatever you call it?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Forum Oracle

Well it's an acquired skill like a tennis serve, golf swing, or fly-cast, none of which I can do very proficiently - still working on walking and chewing bubble gum here!

The idea is to take a circle net, weights on the bottom, and throw it so the circle opens up flat on the water. This means you have to grab a part of the circle and throw it forward in a circular motion - without falling into the water, losing the pull rope, or doing one of many embarrassing things.

Done well, it is a work of art. Done like most, you throw a wad of netting and lead into the water and pray for divine intervention and perhaps the "entangle" concept. I'll probably stick with my two-man bait net that is square with a pole at each end and a leaded rope on the bottom. It works OK in a sandy surf bottom, not on a boat or from the dock. -sammie
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Puzo View Post
That's so funny Willy! I thought of you the minute I saw that. Doesn't it normally take just one person to do the throwing, or casting or whatever you call it?
Yes, it only takes one person and it is kind of like what Sammy says... there is a knack to it though honestly it's not that hard to learn. Maybe once I complete my net I'll see if I can put together a quick video on throwing it.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:24 PM

How is it coming along?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

So far so good. It's coming along quite nicely and is about a 2 foot radius net at this point.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Oooooh, I love the color! How big are you going to make it?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

I'm shooting for at least an eight foot radius and maybe as much as ten. It will depend on how bulky it gets.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Brasilian cast net

Quote:
Cold and windy here today Sam. Nice day to be inside.

OK, I've got past the hard part... setting up. This starts with loading up the shuttles (Picture 1). Next you make a chain that consists of 2 rows of 41 loops (Picture 2). The chain is joined end to end which ultimately gives you 2 rows of 42 loops. This is loaded onto a hinged metal ring that ends up sandwiched between 2 pieces of plastic (Picture 3). The sandwiched pieces are attached to the clamping fixture (Picture 4)... and now I'm ready to begin the third row. When I start the fourth row I'll start making wideners (more on that later).
Good afternoon!
I admired the art of building cast nets, and I am trying to learn how to do it. here in Brazil, this art is dying, and few people know how to flue.
I know how to do the knot, but do not understand the use of feedback, how do I start?
thank you for help.
best regards
Old 03-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Welcome to the FUN forum... all the way from Brazil! My husband visited Campinas in September.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiotrocatapas View Post
Good afternoon!
I admired the art of building cast nets, and I am trying to learn how to do it. here in Brazil, this art is dying, and few people know how to flue.
I know how to do the knot, but do not understand the use of feedback, how do I start?
thank you for help.
best regards
I'm not sure that I understand your question with respect to "the use of feedback". Could you try phrasing the question differently?

Also, I would recommend getting the book "How to Make and Mend Cast Nets" by Ted Dahlem. It's available from Amazon.com. In fact, here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Mend-...7850777&sr=8-5

Oh... and here's a link to a supplier where you can buy all that you need: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/net-making/

Last edited by Willy Landham; 03-23-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added link to janns netcraft
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Progress Report

Here's a quick update on the current state of progress. The net is a little over 4 feet (radius).
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure that I understand your question with respect to "the use of feedback". Could you try phrasing the question differently?

Also, I would recommend getting the book "How to Make and Mend Cast Nets" by Ted Dahlem. It's available from Amazon.com. In fact, here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Mend-...7850777&sr=8-5

Oh... and here's a link to a supplier where you can buy all that you need: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/net-making/

good morning Willy!

In Brazil no have the book of ted Dahlen, and I do not speak English very well, then I tried the help of friends and fishermen.

on the "FEEDBACK" is actually the plastic net gauges, which I do not know to use.
thanks for help
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Engineer Extraordinaire

You're doing fine... in fact your English is much better than my Portuguese.

I'm at work right now and will be busy all day but when I get home this evening I'll see if I can post some pictures of using the gauges and shuttles.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Knot Tying Sequence

Let's see how this goes. Hopefully it will make sense. The sequence goes as follows:

1. Finishing the previous knot by pulling it tight.

2. Setting up for the next knot by passing the shuttle end of the twine over the net gauge.

3. Pass the shuttle behind the gauge from below and insert it into the next mesh in the net.

4. You are actually pulling with both hands in this step. You are stretching the net tight by pulling on the gauge with your left hand while pulling the shuttle end of the twine tight with the right hand. This draws the gauge up tight with the mesh where you are tying the knot. This is how the gauge keeps all of the meshes the same size.

5. Pinch the line with your left hand to hold it in place so that it will not slip.

6. Notice how I've placed the loop of twine from the shuttle over my left hand. Pass the shuttle behind the mesh in the net that you are tying into and through the net on the left side of the mesh. Make sure that the shuttle also goes up through the middle of the loop of twine that is over your left hand.

7. Pull the shuttle all of the way through and slowly tighten the knot against your pinched fingers.

8. Snug the knot tightly to lock it into place.

9. Completed knot and thus another mesh tied into the net.
Attached Images

Last edited by Willy Landham; 03-24-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Knot Detail

Oh... and let me add this. Here's a close up of the knot before it is cinched tight...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Oh... and let me add this. Here's a close up of the knot before it is cinched tight...

Thank you Willy, I am starting today my cast net.
your explanation is excellent, I have the pride to be able to pass this knowledge on.
really very good.

Best regards
Closed Thread

Tags
cast net