Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Main Abaco Discussion Forum

Main Abaco Discussion Forum Abaco's BEST message board: travel, accomodations, bars/restaurants, activities, relaxing, the weather, answers to your questions, you name it, it's here.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Forum sponsor

Smile Hole-In-The-Wall Lighthouse Restoration Project

Edgar, our FLL Station Manager, read about restoration of the Hole-In-The-Wall Lighthouse (c. 1826) in the Abaconian a few months ago.

We thought it would be a great way for Yellow Air Taxi to help the Abacos. We already support Every Child Counts, Reef Relief, and Mimi's Horses, but this would give us a chance to really be "hands on." We also took this project to heart because the YAT radio call sign is "LIGHTHOUSE" (Christopher and I live near the Hillsboro Inlet/ Lighthouse Point) Plus, it would allow some of our folks to get out of Fort Lauderdale!!

Emmett Saunders, our Director of Marketing, found out more about the 25 April work day arranged by the Ministry of Tourism. We also donated 6 cases of water and gatorade, and YAT T-shirts for everyone who helped.

I stayed in FLL to mind the store.

So Edgar, Emmett and Daysell Ramirez (our newest agent), went over the day before for a little R&R and stayed at the Lofty Fig.

The next day they boarded the school bus and drove until the bus could go no further. Then they hopped into the back of a pick-up truck and drove until they reached the lighthouse!

Then the real work began. The Ministry of Tourism representatives arranged "bucket brigades" of volunteers to remove all of the items from the interior of the caretaker cottages. It was pretty heavy duty work as they removed mattresses, cabinetry, and totally gutted the houses.

Edgar says it was a very beautiful area. The strong winds kept him from going too close to the edge of the cliffs - he felt like he was going to get blown right over the edge!!

I have some pictures from their trip. I will post when the next work day is if anyone would like to participate.

Next time I get to go!!!

Beth Behnam
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

What a wonderful thing to do, and thanks for helping with the effort - wish I was there. Looks like those old structures need some TLC for sure! I've been involved in rescuing some old lighthouses but none near as wild and remote as this one.

I have a question - it that automated and making light, and does it still have the old Fresnel lens in it?
sam
Old 05-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

Very cool Beth! YAT and crew have such a big heart.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:43 PM

To answer Sammy no, I think Jimmy Buffett got it after reading one of his recient books- here is a picture from a few months ago
Attached Images

Last edited by Tropical Concepts; 05-10-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

Well I'd rather the old lens was in a local museum but wow, excellent picture. I want to fix that broken pane of glass and do some glazing up there!

Again, thanks to those who are helping with this project.
sam
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Jersey Girl

What a neat project and the views are breathtaking!

Tags
hole in the wall, yat, yellow air taxi