Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Main Abaco Discussion Forum

Main Abaco Discussion Forum Abaco's BEST message board: travel, accomodations, bars/restaurants, activities, relaxing, the weather, answers to your questions, you name it, it's here.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM

bringing your pet to the Bahamas

New to the Forum but not new to Abaco. Been coming by boat since age six with my parents (1966). Now I'm continuing the tradition and have been bringing my kids for the past 10 years.

I have a question I need some direction on. Now that I'm an empty nester....I'm bringing my dog (and my wife..ha!) over this summer for 3 months. I'm coming by boat but staying in a house. The law states you have to have a Vet Health Certificated dated not later than 48 hrs from arrival. It will take me longer than 48 hrs to get to Abaco from Jacksonville after I take my dog to the vet. How do you get around that? 48 hrs seems like a short window. Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

Welcome to the FuN FoRuM!!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Give at least 6 weeks lead time to get the permit, that is how long mine took. They usually only glance at the form but just in case do not have your vet date it.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Green Turtle Cay Correspondent

I had my vet not date the certificate. They never looked at the date.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Perfect! Thanks! That cetainly works for me!!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Don't worry about the 48 hr requirement spelled out on the various websites. My wife and I called and asked as we were travelling by
boat and were told not to worry about it. We FedExed the forms
to the agency in Nassau and they faxed us the permit 2 days later.
I was actaully shocked at how easy the process was.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 PM

KnotTiedDown, we flew in with our dog, so the 48-hr thing wasn't an issue, but I've read here on the Forum that a lot of the boaters do ask their vets not to date the form. I'm not aware of anyone who's had a problem.

Per Tingum's note, if you're mailing in your application for a pet import permit, allow a good 6 weeks because the Bahamian mail system works at glacial speed. I'm not nearly that patient, though, so I FedExed our form in. Less than 48 hours later, I had the faxed permit in my hand. The folks in the Dept of Agriculture were great to work with.

Be sure and post some photos of your dog (oh, and your wife, too) enjoying Abaco. :-) So jealous that you all get to spend 3 months!!

Amanda (aka Shelby)
Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 PM

For anyone bringing their pet to the Bahamas, here is a copy of the requirements. Again, disregard the 48 hour Vet certificate of health. We spoke on the phone and were told not to worry about this 48 hour requirement. You do need the health certificate but not within 48 hours. We Fedexed the application with the 10 dollar fee and 5 dollars to have the permit faxed to us and used money orders for payment. Within 2 days the permit was faxed to us. Very easy.

BAHAMAS IMPORT REQUIREMENTS
An import permit is required from the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry
(Nassau), for all animals being brought into the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.
Applications for such permits (along with a $10 processing fee) must be made in
writing to the Director of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry,
P.O. Box N-3704, Nassau, The Bahamas. For more information, call 242-325-
7502 or 325-7509.
The application must be accompanied by a $10.00 processing fee for each
animal and a $5.00 fax fee in cases where persons wish to have the permit
faxed to them - money order or cash only. No personal cheques will be
accepted.
For the U.S. and Canada, the following are the main provisions of the import
permit as it applies to dogs and cats:
(a) The animal must be 6 months of age or older.
(b) The animal must be accompanied by a valid certificate which substantiates
that it has been vaccinated against rabies within not less than one (1) month and
not more than ten (10) months prior to importation for the one (1) year vaccine.
For the three (3) year vaccine it must be within no less than one (1) month and
not more than thirty-four (34) months prior to importation into The Bahamas.
(c) The animal must be accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate
presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas to
a licensed veterinarian for an examination.
The Permit Is Valid For One (1) Entry And Must Be Used Within One (1)
Year From The Date Of Issue.
Regulations for all other types of animals and relating to countries not mentioned
above may be obtained from the Director of Agriculture, P.O. Box N-3704,
Nassau, The Bahamas. Applications should state the kind of animal, breed, age,
sex, and country of embarkation. Additional information may be required if, for
example, the animal or animal produce is listed under the Convention on
International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Plants and Animals (CITES).
Customs Duty for permanent entry of all animals from outside the
Commonwealth of The Bahamas (dogs, cats, cattle and horses) are $10 plus
1/2% of the value of the animal. Yearly fees for dog licenses in New Providence,
Grand Bahama and the Family Islands are: male or spayed female, $2;
unspayed female $6.
Animals not meeting these requirements
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Ok, I'm confused. This rule states: "The animal must be accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas to
a licensed veterinarian for an examination."

The last few words suggests that after we arrive in the Bahamas the pet is to be taken to a vet for an examination. Is that correct?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Veteran

Yes, but I know of no one who does it. The vet inspection prior to the visit is sufficient. We bring our dogs regularly. Half the time or more, you couldn't find a vet in 48 hours. I worried at first then I realized it was no big deal. I've been trying to reach a vet for 5 days to no avail with the holidays.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 PM

Yeah, I read that too before we went, but other friends of mine who travel to the Bahamas with pets told me nobody actually does it. We didn't either, and nobody ever asked or cared. I wouldn't worry about it. Just have the pet import permit to show when you arrive and you're good.

And if you need a vet while you're in Abaco, Dr. Bailey in Marsh Harbour is awesome!

Amanda
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Veteran

I agree, Dr. Bailey is great.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM

I've been faxing my permit application to Mrs. Martin at the office in Marsh Harbour. Call her @242 367 2240
Send it and your vet certificate. Only problem is she won't fax back or accept credit cards. I have someone pick it up for me and front me the $10 till I get there then bring it when the meet me at the airport. They don't worry about the date on the health certificates. I'll usually get a couple of permits at a time. Saves the hassle of going through Nassau.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 AM

We are about to apply for an import permit to bring our dog to Abaco. The information from the Ministry of Agriculture, including the form and instructions, does not say to whom the international money order should be made out to. It is going to the Department of Agriculture but I also saw on another web site it should be made out to the Public Treasury?? Does anyone have any experience. We are getting tight on time and I do not want to mess it up and be left without a permit. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 PM

csa, I made our money order out to the Director of Agriculture and they accepted it.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:25 PM

made ours out to the Director of Agriculture, sent the extra $5 for the fax. it went out fed ex to nassau on a thursday and got the fax back the following tuesday. i've been getting my forms from marsh harbour for the last four years but couldn't get them last time without showing a health certificate first. i knew i wasn't going back to gtc for a few months, so called nassau when i got back to florida and was told that the health certificate was not required, just send the money order and application. i'll be using this method from now on.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the information. I decided to send cash after going to my large national chain bank and being told they would have to order an international money order and could not give me one that day. Of course, when we went to FedEx, they said that we could not send cash internationally! After we politely explained that it was only $15 and was being sent to the Government of the Bahamas they "bent the rules." The application and fee are now somewhere between here and Nassau. Wish us luck!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
made ours out to the Director of Agriculture, sent the extra $5 for the fax. it went out fed ex to nassau on a thursday and got the fax back the following tuesday. i've been getting my forms from marsh harbour for the last four years but couldn't get them last time without showing a health certificate first. i knew i wasn't going back to gtc for a few months, so called nassau when i got back to florida and was told that the health certificate was not required, just send the money order and application. i'll be using this method from now on.
I just received my permits and I am leaving this week. So we do not need the health/rabbies report from the vet 24 hours before departure? Is this something new?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM

Dana, you will need the form IMP1(B) that is attached to your permit which is the health certificate. Seabiscuit is referring to the rules differing between getting the permit through Marsh Harbour and Nassau. Marsh Harbour is now requiring a health certificate at the time of issuing the import permit. Nassau does not require this.

Nancy
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Hooray! I am happy to report that our FedEx, sent on Saturday to Nassau, arrived on Monday and our permit was faxed to us by the Department of Agriculture on Wednesday. Wow, it could not have been much easier. Our family is looking forward to bringing the dog. By the way, his name is Milo.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
Thanks for the information. I decided to send cash after going to my large national chain bank and being told they would have to order an international money order and could not give me one that day. Of course, when we went to FedEx, they said that we could not send cash internationally! After we politely explained that it was only $15 and was being sent to the Government of the Bahamas they "bent the rules." The application and fee are now somewhere between here and Nassau. Wish us luck!
International money orders are usually available at main post office facilities. Some branch post offices do not carry them. We just brought Troy in with no problems. Because we were coming by boat, there was a weather delay, but it was no problem.

Tags
pets