Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Main Abaco Discussion Forum

Main Abaco Discussion Forum Abaco's BEST message board: travel, accomodations, bars/restaurants, activities, relaxing, the weather, answers to your questions, you name it, it's here.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Drinking water

I have been to places where the water that came from taps would reach out and grab you by the throat and gag you until Montezuma got his revenge. I love Jamaica but am not thrilled with the drinking water. St. Martin has water you can sip all day. Grand Cayman has water to write home about - nice!

How about the drinking water on Abaco? Treasure Cay? (I would be remiss if I didn't ask!)
Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Jersey Girl

I don't recall where you are staying but some of the places have safe drinking water but we still buy bottled for drinking and use the rest for cooking/bathing. Better to be safe than sorry. JMHO.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Green Turtles water seems fine, we mainly drink bottled water however I have had plenty of water and ice at many establishments and never had an issue besides having that florida/beach water taste...others will be able to speak with greater experience I am sure.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 AM

its mostly from cisterns right? even when it brought in by boat, its stored in one, correct?

buy bottled to drink eat cook.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM

I have had experience with water in Abaco reaching out and grabbing you by the Montezuma with my ex wife.
She had a reaction to the water in Marsh Harbour but not out on the islands.
Its not that the water is bad its just that your system is not used to it.
On Elbow and Guana she did not have any reaction at all. I guess because it is all cistern.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 AM

We've never had an issue with the water on Green Turtle. Most places are now on "city" water, but we've drunk straight from the tap when on cistern or city. Tastes fine to me and never had any "issues".
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 AM

The water in Treasure Cay is fairly good. Completely safe but does have a slight tinge to the taste. We have a pitcher with 5 state filter in it and that fixes it up just fine.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Forum Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue Moon Cottage
Just ask.. most places that serve you water have water makers and that is fine. some homes and properties have them as well. Most use cisterns to provide bathing water.
This is a third word country so as much as it seems all brand new and shiny take precautions and use common sense, have fun relax
Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Yeah - we are staying at Treasure Cay. Usually, we just boil a gallon or so each day and then refrigerate it. I like to put a squeeze of lemon in it and the water always tastes just fine. I try not to drink bottled water if I can avoid it. The plastic plays hell with Gaia...(old hippies never die - we just lose our hair)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran

We usually buy water in gallon jugs and bring our own water bottles. Fill them up about a third of the way, freeze them overnight and then top off in the morning...works great for a hot day.

We also get water by the glass when we eat out and have never had a problem in the 12+ years we have been going to the Abacos.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM

water

When we stayed on Elbow Cay years ago, the care taker of the home we rented warned us, 'if you hear frogs in the cistern that means the water is good, however if you don't hear frogs, don't drink the water'.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octobersteve View Post
When we stayed on Elbow Cay years ago, the care taker of the home we rented warned us, 'if you hear frogs in the cistern that means the water is good, however if you don't hear frogs, don't drink the water'.

LOL!!! We have a well. People wouldn't believe all the live critters that live in their water source. Frogs are OK with me. I just hate it when some mammal gets into the well and drowns. The water gets a bit "special" for a while!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
We usually buy water in gallon jugs and bring our own water bottles. Fill them up about a third of the way, freeze them overnight and then top off in the morning...works great for a hot day.

We also get water by the glass when we eat out and have never had a problem in the 12+ years we have been going to the Abacos.

Good to know, Brien!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Please do not drink the water out of the tap in Treasure. The water itself is fine at the source. It is the pipes that are the problem. Market and convenience store have water for sale I bring small water bottles with me and keep them filled for when I am out and about. If i eat at the Coco Bar i asked them to fill my bottle before i leave. Water, pina colada, water, pina colada .....

You can also get jugs refilled at the back of the marina store. Boiling is probably fine but I don't know how long you need to boil. I usually buy from the store or fill up at our villa office. Remember the ice too... Ensure it is made from the good water

Since you are staying at the hotel you can take your ice bucket to the bar and get it filled for no charge.

Last edited by AbacoMah; 02-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbacoMah View Post
Please do not drink the water out of the tap in Treasure. The water itself is fine at the source. It is the pipes that are the problem. Market and convenience store have water for sale I bring small water bottles with me and keep them filled for when I am out and about. If i eat at the Coco Bar i asked them to fill my bottle before i leave. Water, pina colada, water, pina colada .....

You can also get jugs refilled at the back of the marina store. Boiling is probably fine but I don't know how long you need to boil. I usually buy from the store or fill up at our villa office. Remember the ice too... Ensure it is made from the good water

Since you are staying at the hotel you can take your ice bucket to the bar and get it filled for no charge.
Boiling is the most certain way of killing all microorganisms. According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude. To be extra safe, let the water boil rapidly for one minute, especially at higher altitudes since water boils at a lower temperature (see page 68.)

That came from Princeton:

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

Cool, huh? Now, if you take that water and pour it back and forth from pan to pan (about 6 times) you remove MOST of the yucky flavor and aerate it, making it sparkling and taste better. Just a FYI!

I like YOUR idea of pina colada & water, etc...
Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Season your water with alcolhol...I've been told it's a sure way not to suffer the consqeunces of...W A T E R
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran

The water in TC has never caused us a problem; it is much improved in recent years. We filter it to take out the chlorine taste. Our owners' association has its own reverse osmosis filtration system and we typically use it for drinking but when we run out, we've regularly used the filtered "municipal" water without incident. This is not "cistern" water but is from deep wells that tap into Abaco's amazing fresh water aquifer.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul & Crew View Post
I have had experience with water in Abaco reaching out and grabbing you by the Montezuma with my ex wife.
She had a reaction to the water in Marsh Harbour but not out on the islands.
Its not that the water is bad its just that your system is not used to it.
On Elbow and Guana she did not have any reaction at all. I guess because it is all cistern.
If you are suspicious of the water add an eighth of a teaspoon of bleach,"non-scented!" to a gallon of water,let it sit a bit,put it in the fridge in a Brita or Pur filter pitcher and it will be completely safe and taste just fine when you pour it.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Turtles View Post
Season your water with alcolhol...I've been told it's a sure way not to suffer the consqeunces of...W A T E R
Probably the best advice yet!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubahamian View Post
If you are suspicious of the water add an eighth of a teaspoon of bleach,"non-scented!" to a gallon of water,let it sit a bit,put it in the fridge in a Brita or Pur filter pitcher and it will be completely safe and taste just fine when you pour it.

I love being helpful!

Liquid Chlorine Bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) - Either 5.25% or 6% Strength
Kills Bacteria and Viruses.
Not effective against all Protozoa.
Does Not Neutralize Harmful Chemicals or Radioactive Particles.
Relatively Clear Water - Use 2 drops of bleach per quart of water or 8 drops per gallon (or 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons).
Cloudy Water - Use 4 drops of bleach per quart of water or 16 drops per gallon (or 2 teaspoons per 10 gallons).

The water should not be too cool. The water temperature should be 70°F or higher. If necessary, put the water in direct sunlight to raise the water temperature. The effectiveness of chlorine at killing pathogens diminishes rapidly at lower temperatures.
Add the required number of drops of chlorine liquid bleach (Clorox or store brand, unscented) to the water and wait one hour for the bleach to kill all the tiny organisms. If you can detect a faint chlorine smell in the water at the end of one hour, then it is safe to drink. If you can't smell the chlorine, then add the same amount of bleach a second time and wait another hour. If you can detect a faint chlorine smell, then the water is safe to drink. If you still can't detect the smell of chlorine, then discard the water because it contains too many germs. (Note: Always start with the minimum recommended amount of bleach and add a little more if necessary. Too much chlorine is harmful to your body.)
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 AM

more a taste thang

mainland Abaco water is hard and tastes over treated but it's not dangerous.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Jersey Girl

Still feel safer with bottled water....JMHO.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaAngie View Post
Still feel safer with bottled water....JMHO.
Actually, bottled water has more pathogens than boiled water UNLESS it was boiled. Boiling is the ONLY method to make water 100% safe. Remember this - ALL bottled water comes out of SOMEONE'S tap. Bottled water is pretty much the same stuff that MOST people can get out of their own faucets - at about 1000 times the cost.

Here is a telling article from Readers Digest:

http://www.rd.com/health/rethink-what-you-drink/

Just a friendly FYI.....
Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Jersey Girl

I thought it came from natural springs. ????
Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM

MOST people think that. Most water does come from a pristine source but Aquafina, Nestlé Pure Life, and Dasani come from city tap water. These are just three of the BIGGIES that use regular city tap water.

Want to know the best rated water in America? NEW YORK CITY tap water. LOL (Don't ask me who did the rating - I really don't know.) LOL
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Jersey Girl

I also heard that Newark (NJ) had great water. Yikes I like Dasani. We primarily drink Poland spring water. We have well water here but it needs to be a current testing done.....you never know!!! Our town water is awful. I put my memory cap on and can not remember if there are grills at TC hotel. (all the times we walked that route). Maybe someone will come on and advise. Probably don't want to discourage eating out. Maybe Turtleman can take a quick looksy.

Last edited by BahamaAngie; 02-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I also heard that Newark (NJ) had great water. Yikes I like Dasani. We primarily drink Poland spring water. We have well water here but it needs to be a current testing done.....you never know!!! Our town water is awful. I put my memory cap on and can not remember if there are grills at TC hotel. (all the times we walked that route). Maybe someone will come on and advise. Probably don't want to discourage eating out. Maybe Turtleman can take a quick looksy.
I am guessing that with 14 nights there, we will eat out a fair number of days. LOL. I DO like to burn my own meat every now and then though!!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
BahamaAngie -

Here is an interesting read about Poland Water (owned by Nestle - a company from Switzerland):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...0105/index.htm
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Talking

Stick with Kalik...water is dirty fish $%&* in it ....sorry couldnt resist
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
CBM Veteran

We stay on MOW, have a cistern with a frog, we hear it nightly, and drink the water without any problems. I honestly think it tastes better than our city water here in Charlotte and much better than the water at our beach house in Hatteras, NC. We have been going well over ten years & never had an ill affect.

Tags
water