Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Main Abaco Discussion Forum

Main Abaco Discussion Forum Abaco's BEST message board: travel, accomodations, bars/restaurants, activities, relaxing, the weather, answers to your questions, you name it, it's here.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Bahamian musicians/local music

Greetings,

I am a new member on this forum and am looking for some guidance on how to obtain some local Bahamian music.

It is winter up here in the Great Lakes and pretty darn cold. The gray skies and lack of boating gets me reaching for some colorful music to warm the blues away.

I am looking for one artist in particular, and I believe he goes by the name of Phil Stubb. See, I had this cassette tape that was given to me by my grandfather in the late 90's--he made quite a few trips to the Bahamas and on occasion, to the Abacos. It was one of my favorite tapes to pop in on the boat and the calypso beat made winter a little more bearable. The album was titled "Back to Basics," and featured a song called "west end groove." I can remember the melody of many if not most of the songs, but can't recall all of the song titles. I misplaced the tape a few years ago and have been missing it ever since.

I would love to get my hands on a copy of that album again, but I cannot find any information relating to that particular artist anywhere on the internet. I thought I would ask here if any of you "in the know" might be able to suggest where I could order the album from again. I would purchase a cassette, a CD, or even a digital download.

I appreciate any insight you all can offer. I have been to the Bahamas my self with my grandfather, but never to the Abacos. I would love to get over there and have been reading this forum and eying vacation rentals for a few years. Almost pulled the trigger on a trip to the Exumas on Staniel Cay two years ago to celebrate a 10 year cancer remission, but airfare killed the deal and we ended up settling on the Florida Keys. The Abacos, however, seem easier to get to with more service to the islands. I am hoping that 2014 will be the year. Until then, I'll keep dreaming and get lost in the music.

Thanks, and Cheers!

-al
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM

Welcome to the forum Al, and good luck with your search
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

Welcome to the FuN FoRuM! Wish I could hear a sample of Mr. Stubbs tunes... good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

Just found this: http://www.bahamasb2b.com/bahamasb2b/bahamasmusic/
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLKE9zmUA_M

Last edited by DrRalph; 01-07-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Embedded video
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Patti, that is the man! Phil Stubbs...
Thanks for the YouTube video. The first link you posted does not work for me (says "restricted access"). Any idea where I can purchase some of his music?

-al
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Smile Bonefish Folley-Bonefish Folley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Puzo View Post
Welcome to the FuN FoRuM! Wish I could hear a sample of Mr. Stubbs tunes... good luck!
I have know Bonefish Folley from WEST END GB for years. Great tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efEoRZ13bW0

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...p&fr=yfp-t-701
Hope this helps
Joe

Last edited by DrRalph; 01-07-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Embedded video
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Bonefish Folley was laid to rest Aug 18 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hamrick View Post
I have know Bonefish Folley from WEST END GB for years. Great tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efEoRZ13bW0

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...p&fr=yfp-t-701
Hope this helps
Joe
What I did not know is: Bonefish Folley was laid to rest Aug 18 2012.
http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publ...ide23562.shtml
Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM

I did some more searching and was able to locate two used albums on Amazon, one of them being the one I have been looking for: "Back to Basics." I ordered both, now to see if they actually ship...

I also located an address for a record company that produced an album of his, and will write to them as a last resort.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM

I know he's not "native" Bahamian, but no collection is complete without some Barefootman music! www.barefootman.com
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM

Phik Stubbs lives in Freeeport and has some really good music . Unfortunately he does not sell his music through any of the local music wholesalers . He handles all his own distribution . When he had some popular songs out I often tried to get some of his music to sell at the dive shop and the only way you could get it was to deal directly with him and he only dealt in cash so you had to find someone going to freeport to take the cash to him to get the CD's . I had his cell # but i lost it in one of my cell phones that went for a swim so unfortunately I cannot help but I really enjoy his music as well

troy
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Things look good on the Back to Basics album that I found on Amazon. Just got an email confirmation that the order has shipped. What I have found on the internet is much of the same thing you mentioned, Dive Guana, that he sells his music locally but it is very hard to find in stores, even in the Bahamas.

I have plenty of Barefoot Man, and it is good stuff! But I have been playing it non-stop since November and I think my girlfriend is getting sick of it...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM

back in the 80's there was a group called 'wilfred solomon and the magnetics'. really loved their music. they played in freeport and then were picked up by a cruise ship line that ran between florida and the bahamas. they only made one album - a 33lp. i've seen them for sale on ebay - might be worth your time to google them or search on ebay.